Friday, December 27, 2013

PLN Blog Challenge


PLN Blog Challenge

So, Daisy Dyer Duerr (@DaisyDyerDuerr) must have been reading my mind.  I have been meaning to get a blog post out for quite some time.  What a perfect way to get me back going again than with a good old fashion throw down challenge...a blog challenge! Thanks, Daisy.  Here goes nothing!

Here are the Rules:
1. Acknowledge the nomination blogger.
2. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
3. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
4.  List 11 bloggers.  They should be bloggers you believe deserve a little recognition.
5.  Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate and let all the bloggers know they been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.)

11 Random Facts about me:

1. I don't really like for snow and ice...but if I have to be around it...I prefer to hop on my tractor and snow blade to go around the neighborhood to clean their driveway and sidewalks.  A little service mixed in with riding my toy around like a little kid.

2. I was lucky enough to get to extend some of my passions growing up by being able to play basketball and soccer in college.

3.  I enjoy cooking and obviously, eating too.  I may watch "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives", "Chopped", and "Restaurant: Impossible" as much as "SportsCenter".

4.  I coached an Iowa Senior Select basketball team on a trip to Australia.  We were there for 18 days and played many games in different cities. We stayed with host families and I still communicate with them from time to time.  I could live in Australia in a heartbeat.

5.  I often have to do the Mel Gibson, "Lethal Weapon" move with my shoulder when it dislocates and I need to get it back in place.  Need to have surgery sometime.  I am a sports injury waiting to happen.  This goes along with an ACL/MCL knee surgery and a screw in my wrist.

6.  I enjoy weed eating around our neighborhood ponds to clear my head and think of nothing but cutting those pieces of grass.  When done with this I often pull out the fishing pole to see what is biting.

7.  My wife owns a professional photography studio that does weddings, seniors, families, etc. Back in the day, I had to carry the equipment and be the sun reflector guy.  I have since retired from this duty.

8.  I am a converted coffee drinker.  Never liked it before.  One thing though...it can't taste like coffee.  It has to have a flavored creamer and sugar.  I am amazed that people can drink black coffee.

9.  One of the hardest jobs I had to do as a kid was bailing hay for a family friend. Loading and stacking up in the scorching hot barn by myself about did me in multiple times.

10.  I have never owned a pet as child or as an adult...and I believe I never will.  Friends and family are currently trying to change my mindset about this one.

11.  I have never been to the Iowa State Fair.  When I say this, people look at me like it is unAmerican or something.  I may need to put this on my to do list this summer.


My Responses to Daisy

1.Why Education as a career? I was going down the business field at the time.  It wasn't meeting my passions.  I changed to a field where I could be with kids and try to be an influential person like some of my teachers and coaches.


2.What is the best sporting event you have ever attended? Any time I have been to Jupiter, FL for Spring Training or Busch Stadium to watch the St. Louis Cardinals.  


3.What’s your favorite thing/things about the SOUTH? Warm weather and southern hospitality.  Retirement plans include moving to the South.  Doing research as we speak.


4.Who or what is the biggest influencer of what you are doing today in education? Seeing kids battle adversity and finding some kind of success for their future.  Letting them know we care is a major driving force.


5.Plane, Train, or Automobile?  Plane....more time to spend where you are going and not as many..."Are we there yet?" questions from the kids.


 6.What was your biggest fear as a child? Heights..fear of falling and having zero control of what happens next...I know...the planes thing doesn't make sense...I white knuckle it on the take off.


7.Favorite time of the school day….why? Welcoming kids to school.  I enjoy trying to start many kids day off with a smile and encourage them to have a great or awesome day.


8.How can we equalize the playing field for ALL children in America?  Eliminate the educational lottery for kids based on the school or community they live in and their resources.  Students need a fair chance to have quality education just like the students from another city or state.  


9.GO TO Stress Reliever? SportsCenter or my Twitter PLN.


10.Education Conference you just HAVE to attend -any ISTE conference in the near future.  I am seeing and hearing about way too much innovation and relationships being formed through Twitter from afar....need to make it an event to attend on a regular basis.


11.In 10 years as an educator I want to………….still be growing as a leader of a school or district and to be developing the "kids first" culture which develops relationships that impact everyone for the better.


Now I get to share 11 bloggers I’d like to recognize and keep this thing going.


1.  Matt Degner                                @mwdegner
2.  Robert Sigrist                             @DocSig                                 
3.  Nathan Wear                               @Nathan_Wear
4.  Laura Gilchrist                            @LauraGilchrist4           
5.  David Culberhouse                    @DavidCulberhouse
6.  Jennifer Hogan                          @Jennifer_Hogan
7.  Shaelynn Farnsworth                @shfarnsworth
8.  Todd Bloomer                            @yankee_todd
9.  Tom Whitford                             @twhitford
10.  John Wink                                @JohnWink90
11.  Joe Sanfelippo                        @Joesanfelippofc


11 Questions for my nominees

1.  What was your favorite book to read as kid?..as an adult? 
2.  Who are two of your favorite athletes?
3.  Your favorite teacher/coach in high school or college...why did they mean so much to you?
4.  If you were to host a Super Bowl Party, what foods are you having?
5.  Where is a vacation place you went to as a kid or adult that would you recommend to others?
6.  What are two things on your bucket list that you just have to do yet?
7.  What is a something you wished you had more training on in college prep for an education career?
8.  If you were to go back in time, who would you like to hang out with for a day?
9.  How do you like to spend your time when you aren't in school?
10.  What is one of your favorite leadership quotes?
11.  If you could change one thing in education, what would it be?

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment